Monday, July 1, 2013

June 24 1973 - spring north of Swatara Creek - 15 miles

(this daily journal was kept and rewritten by my sister Laurie and presented to me as a gift - I now rewrite it here for you)

Broke camp at 10 A.M. We thought we had plenty of time - planning on making 6m. to Mt. View Motel. Surprise! Had a great walk  in the morning. The reroute went past a grocery store - what a treat! We made a wrong turn once and lost some time. Got to the motel at 2:30 and found out there were no available rooms. So we moved on. A man and his songs (from Illinois) were backpacking for the first time. They left the motel ahead of us. Went by Swatara Creek and people were swimming so I went in. Don and Jay didn't join me - their loss. Started rough climb. Made it to top quite well but next water was 6 more miles. Had to push on because Jay was out of water. Got another blister. Don's heels look like craters from broken blisters. Reached the spring at 7:15 P.M.

No comments: