Monday, July 15, 2013

July 14 - Boy Scout campground - 11.5 miles

(this daily journal was kept and rewritten by my sister Laurie and presented to me as a gift - I now rewrite it here for you)

Got up and the sun was shining. Looked like a scorcher. Off at 7:50. My boots are falling apart - soles half off on both so I walked in my sneakers all day. I was lucky the terrain wasn't too rough. Reached Canopus Crossroads and went off the trail 1 m. for groceries. Met John and Dan at the store. The temperature was 95 degrees so we sat around until 3:30, then walked back to the A.T. Hiked for 3.3 more miles, up big mountain with nice views. Sat on enormous boulders and watch the hawks flying about. Came to a Boy Scout Campground and decided to stay there if we could. John and Dan got the OK from the ranger's son. They also rode around in his jeep and got clean well water. It started to rain at 9:00pm and lasted all night. Our tent held out well - no leaks.

No comments: