Saturday, July 6, 2013

July 6 1973 - shack in Stokes Forest - 16.5 miles

(this daily journal was kept and rewritten by my sister Laurie and presented to me as a gift - I now rewrite it here for you)

Good start (8:00) and the sun was shining. You could tell we were out of Penn. We walked a while and Bob caught up with us. Fantastic views and much varied terrain made the hiking more interesting. Ate lunch at a nice spot and lounged around. We kept walking past destroyed houses that were evacuated because of the proposed Tox Dam. There is a big controversy between the people and government over this. Stopped at a spring for an hour. Made last 3.5 miles. Found an old shack with a nice view and water nearby. We decided to stay. This is near Buttermilk Falls. Met 2 girls (Mary & Freddette) who spent the night there too. They showed us food tubes which looked neat. Bob was very talkative tonight. We all rapped away and had a good time. Saw first sunset. N.J. is beautiful.

( walking through this area and seeing the shells of houses and foundations - couldn't get the Neil Young song After The Gold Rush out of my head, so I added it to my nightly repertoire)

No comments: