Friday, July 12, 2013

July 12 - Letterack Lean-to - 6.3 miles

(this daily journal was kept and rewritten by my sister Laurie and presented to me as a gift - I now rewrite it here for you)

How can I possibly describe the sheer beauty of a cool, crisp, sunny day in the mountains of New York. Words cannot describe my joy as I sit on a huge rock on the ridge soaking in the sun's warm rays and feeling a fresh wind from the north upon my face. Today is just tremendous! When we woke, it was cool. Off at 8:30 and had a nice walk to Fingerboard LT and then down to Lake Toriati where we stopped for a couple of hours and ate lunch. The weather is perfect - my favorite type of day - typical autumn weather. Got to the shelter at 2:00. Plenty of time to for contemplations. Don is playing the guitar by the lean-to below and I'm just thinking about the trip; getting a little melancholy because all our friends are moving on. We still don't know where Dan & John are. Feet are recovering. Don and I are composing an A.T. song at popular request from thru hikers. Dan & John showed. We had a good time talking. Dan showed us a special biscuit recipe with aluminum foil. Raccoon raided by night.

No comments: