Wednesday, July 10, 2013

July 9 1973 - Appalachian Motel - 15.1 miles

(this daily journal was kept and rewritten by my sister Laurie and presented to me as a gift - I now rewrite it here for you)

Hiking at 7:45. This day and the next are retrospective views, as I was too tired and beat to write on those days. Left High Point #1 and made it to Unionville (6.2m.) in 2 hours. Dan and John were already there. We met (or rather he met us) a little boy named Jed Whiting who knew Ned Barr. He was a wise guy but we had fun with him. Went through the usual town routine of eating, buying groceries, repacking, P.O., and general fooling around. It was 94 degrees in the shade so we decided not to move. Kept going into this restaurant with excellent homemade food. John left at 3. We were offered a ride that would have cut off 9 m. of walking (mostly road walking). For some reason, I didn't accept - I must be going nuts! Wish I had taken it later on. The walking was terribly hot and I got two gigantic blisters and I limped most of the way. We left at 3:30 and at 8 PM Don, Dan and I were 2.5 m. from the motel. Don and I hitched to it. Dan found John up the road a bit and they crashed by some big pipes.

(later when the story was retold, Dan & John slept inside the giant pipes stacked on the side of the road)

No comments: