Friday, June 21, 2013

June 20 1973 - Thelma Marks Shelter - 7 miles

(this daily journal was kept and rewritten by my sister Laurie and presented to me as a gift - I now rewrite it here for you)

Woke at 4:30 but we didn't get up until 7:00. The morning was warn and foggy. It took us a while to break camp, as we aren't exactly experts on this procedure. Started to hike at 9:00 after a breakfast of instant cream of wheat that settled like lead. Walked down the mountain, streets, etc. and proceeded to climb again. this seemed like a terrible climb and I was very, to say the least. Never thought I'd make the top but I did. the shelter was 0.1 m(iles) r(ight) of trail and 70 degrees down. The spring was another 200 yds down the mountain. We arrived at 2pm, rested; then the four of us (Dave was there too) pitched in and made a big meal. Group effort to wash dishes since we massacred the biscuits and burned the pan. I fell asleep at 9pm - dead tired.

No comments: