Friday, April 20, 2007

Este's Candy Kitchen

During the 1960’s, Brant Rock center had a movie theater/bowling alley and Este’s Candy Kitchen. We got to see a few movies there during our island days (I forget which activity was upstairs and which was downstairs, but you could watch the movie and hear the pins getting knocked down at the same time), but my favorite excursions from the island and into town were those that included a stop at Este’s. Nenna liked to get their Salt Water Taffy which came in many different flavors and I believe they made themselves. My favorite treat was their homemade fudge which came in sticks about 1” x 1” x 4” and wrapped in white paper – twisted shut at each end. I would wait impatiently while Nenna chatted with the store clerk/lady – hoping that she would let me get my precious fudge stick. If I was particularly lucky, I had my own quarter to buy it for myself. Like all of Brant Rock, it was an old wood building – wooden steps, bare wooden floors, wood & glass display cases – and full of mystique for a young school boy.

Este’s Candy Kitchen burned down in 1971 and was never rebuilt. The movie house/bowling alley followed suit in 1973 after being vacant for a number of years.

No comments: