Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Uncle Happy's boat

Uncle “Happy” Annis was Grammie’s brother up in Maine. Annises were boat people – their father Billy had been the captain for the Mayor of Boston’s private yacht . Happy had a power boat on the Kennebeck River and took us all out for a ride on summers day when we went to visit. Happy of course was at the controls, and Mom, Dad, Grammy and I (at around five years old?) were all circled around. Hap happily pushed the throttle wide open and showed us just how fast the boat could go. The river was very wide and turning a bend, opened up into more of a harbor (Boothbay maybe? I don’t recall going into open ocean). I don’t remember where all my other siblings were, but I can still see the shape of the bow and the cables running along and the spray splashing off the sides – and I can see the T-shaped throttle on the side-board. Apparently Grammy could see that I saw it – as I heard her recall the same story from her own perspective – watching my small hand sliding slowly, inconspicuously along the side board towards the throttle. I’m not sure if Uncle Hap was alerted by Grammy or what, but I never did get to push it.

No comments: